One of the dozen

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Silk

Re: One of the dozen

Postby Silk » Fri May 20, 2016 6:56 pm

Imsensible wrote:Yes I remember the green cross code. I was cycling in the 70s. And the 80s, 90s and beyond. There isn't a pecking order... that exists in your mind and the minds of other misguided motorists...

The trouble with you lefties is you have this victim mentality where if someone isn't 100% for you, they're 100% against you. Of course, like any competent and considerate motorist, I respect other road users and do my best not to compromise their safety. But that doesn't mean I believe all road users should have the same priorities. Whether you like it or not, there most definitely is a pecking order. A law of the jungle, if you like.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 pm

"Law of the jungle" may be an unfortunate phrase - are you suggesting everyone is entitled to use their superior power against weaker members of the community? That's the reason we have democracy, a judicial system, and a Police force - to ensure that the "law of the jungle" doesn't take over from civilised behaviour and restraint.

Of course you two are just winding each other up - but to anyone coming at this afresh, the polarisation of views would seem rather alarming.
Nick

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat May 21, 2016 12:07 am

Silk wrote:The trouble with you lefties is you have this victim mentality where if someone isn't 100% for you, they're 100% against you. Of course, like any competent and considerate motorist, I respect other road users and do my best not to compromise their safety. But that doesn't mean I believe all road users should have the same priorities. Whether you like it or not, there most definitely is a pecking order. A law of the jungle, if you like.

Now I'm a lefty with a victim mentality? That's the biggest leap of imagination yet. You really are going off the rails. :lol:

As for law of the jungle, I bet the closest you ever got to one is the local zoo. ;)

Imsensible

Postby Imsensible » Sat May 21, 2016 12:20 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:"Law of the jungle" may be an unfortunate phrase - are you suggesting everyone is entitled to use their superior power against weaker members of the community? That's the reason we have democracy, a judicial system, and a Police force - to ensure that the "law of the jungle" doesn't take over from civilised behaviour and restraint.

Of course you two are just winding each other up - but to anyone coming at this afresh, the polarisation of views would seem rather alarming.

Whilst my belief in the police and judicial system have been badly eroded over the last few years, I still have to agree with you. I suspect that Silk isn't one of the stronger members of the jungle and the laws of natural selection will mean he gets run over by a group of lefty cyclists in track suits and trainers :D

As for being alarming, if everybody thought alike and played nicely, the forum would be even more boring than it already is ;)

TripleS

Postby TripleS » Sat May 21, 2016 10:07 am

I wonder if we sometimes concern ourselves a bit too much with our "rights" and notions of superiority, and pay rather too little attention to consideration, harmony and peaceful co-existence. OTOH that might be complete bollox, but it works quite well for me, most of the time.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat May 21, 2016 12:09 pm

fungus wrote:The wall is covered in ivy. There is a small patch of white painted brick on the left running parelell to the road(Church Street). just after this the wall bends left at 90 degrees where a triangular area of grass separates Church Street from Back Lane which comes in from the left at an acute angle.
This is the view from the opposite direction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.80245 ... 312!8i6656

Got it. Still on your side.

fungus

Postby fungus » Sat May 21, 2016 8:34 pm

waremark wrote:
fungus wrote:The wall is covered in ivy. There is a small patch of white painted brick on the left running parelell to the road(Church Street). just after this the wall bends left at 90 degrees where a triangular area of grass separates Church Street from Back Lane which comes in from the left at an acute angle.
This is the view from the opposite direction.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.80245 ... 312!8i6656

Got it. Still on your side.

Thank you :D

Nigel.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun May 22, 2016 7:18 pm

TripleS wrote:I wonder if we sometimes concern ourselves a bit too much with our "rights" and notions of superiority, and pay rather too little attention to consideration, harmony and peaceful co-existence. OTOH that might be complete bollox, but it works quite well for me, most of the time.

When I was a kid, I knew not to run out into the road. These days, a kid has the "right" to be in the road and it's someone else's fault if it all goes wrong. The same with cyclists - they have the "right" to ride three-a-breast on a country lane with poor visibility, so they'll bloody well do it.

As far as I'm concerned, motor vehicles are the primary users of the roads and while I agree we should give other road users due consideration, cyclists and pedestrians are secondary users and should know their place. Then we can all get along just fine.

Silk

Postby Silk » Sun May 22, 2016 7:20 pm

Imsensible wrote:...if everybody thought alike and played nicely, the forum would be even more boring than it already is ;)

Agreed. ;-)

All we need now is Stressed Dave to come along with some science and kill this thread stone dead. :lol:

Return to “Introductions”