Hello from West Sussex

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Bumblebee16

Re: Hello from West Sussex

Postby Bumblebee16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:51 am

Horse wrote:
Bumblebee16 wrote:I feel vulnerable driving near to the centre line as I seem to be so close to oncoming vehicles.

There are lots of winding roads around where I live, so I can get lots of practice.

If you feel vulnerable because there *are* oncoming vehicles, then you've prioritised view over safety. If, you feel vulnerable because you can't see far enough ahead, then ditto.

Just to clarify, I only feel vulnerable when the oncoming vehicles are also positioned close to the centre line.

akirk

Postby akirk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:27 am

Bumblebee16 wrote:
Horse wrote:
Bumblebee16 wrote:I feel vulnerable driving near to the centre line as I seem to be so close to oncoming vehicles.

There are lots of winding roads around where I live, so I can get lots of practice.

If you feel vulnerable because there *are* oncoming vehicles, then you've prioritised view over safety. If, you feel vulnerable because you can't see far enough ahead, then ditto.

Just to clarify, I only feel vulnerable when the oncoming vehicles are also positioned close to the centre line.

I suspect that is also when they are suddenly appearing close to the centre line and close to you - i.e. you don't feel you have enough time to deal with it - if they are appearing out of the corner on the centre line 1/2 a mile away you wouldn't be uncomfortable...

therefore, you are not gaining sufficient extra vision by moving out as their position is unexpected - so in those cases don't move out - moving out is often helpful, but if it is giving you no extra view, but still taking you out into a more risky position then there is no upside and plenty of potential downside - so that corner needs to be driven differently...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:24 am

Bumblebee16 wrote:
Horse wrote: If you feel vulnerable because there *are* oncoming vehicles, then you've prioritised view over safety.

Simple: don't be there :) Safety, then view, then advantage

To be honest, positionig for view in bends is one of the last things to be concerned about when corning and it's benefits are often over-stated.

http://the-ride-info-new.blogspot.co.uk ... chive.html

If you have poor forward view then be more concerned about setting an appropriate speed to allow for both oncoming vehicles and potential hazards just around the corner (aka the 'surprise horizon').

[NB Other prompts are available, such as Safety, Stabilty, View]
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:17 pm

Thanks Alasdair and Horse for all the information. It all makes more sense now.

Horse wrote:I like the 'SVA' prompt for positioning: safety, view, advantage.

If anywhere on the lane width is [relatively ] safe, then go for view.

How do you remember all of these initialisms?
I have come across so many of them recently.
I'm pretty sure that when I learnt to drive the only one I had to know about was MSM. Is that still taught?

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:55 pm

Well, if in doubt I invent my own :)

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/cornering.html

But some of this comes from reptetition, they gradually become engrained through repetition so that the repetition makes them stick ;)

Here's some stuff to try:
http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/p/d ... ining.html
It's aimed at motorcyclists, but most work in a car too.

http://the-ride-info.blogspot.co.uk/sea ... 20menmonic :)

PS: repetition :? :lol: :shock: :o ;) :D

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:37 pm

Thanks, Horse

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:17 am

Thanks for all your help last week. My observed drive went well yesterday and feedback for the left hand bends was much better.

Next lesson, we are going to start commentary driving (eek) and manoeuvring.
Therefore, I have lots of homework to do before then (You Tube, I assume for the commentary driving).

I have just seen this article where a manoeuvre went seriously wrong:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/vid ... MP=ema_827

Debbie

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:59 am

Well done, sounds like you're doing great - Hope you're enjoying it too.

For commentary videos I do like Reg's style - I think it's probably one of the latest videos on commentary and hence maybe a bit more relevant as the style of commentary seems to have changed over time. Plenty of other ones too which are easy to find so have a look at all and take what you like from each of them and leave what you don't.

akirk

Postby akirk » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:17 pm

with commentary - one of the key approaches is to focus on what is important / critical and filter out or minimise other things - so going through a shopping street, you might sum up all activity on the right as 'pedestrians on the right, no risk' but then focus more on a set of small children on the left - i.e. show clarity as to where your attention might be...

Also, abbreviate what you are saying to allow you a more leisurely commentary...
'50 limit, left bend, farm ahead' is much simpler, than
'50 limit approaching in 300 yards, followed by a left bend and I can see that there is a farm by the sign saying eggs for sale and the one saying mud on the road'
that allows you to be less rushed and gives your passenger a feeling that you are in control / have seen everything / but are not hurried...

Alasdair

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:36 pm

Simplifying further, are the pedestrians walking steadily along the pavement or do they look as if they might dash? If so, where to and why? Differentiate, comment on concerns andactions you'll need to take.

About my second or third driving lesson, we eere heading along a 30 limit , my instructor said "Watch out, that person is going to run out."

He explained after: " Fat people don't run unless they really have to, so he's obviously distracted and not thinking about the road and looking before crossing."

Return to “Introductions”