Hello from West Sussex

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Bumblebee16

Re: Hello from West Sussex

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:11 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck! Hopefully you'll have more luck with the RoSPA group. Don't let it put you off though - it's really worthwhile and fun no matter which organsiation

Thanks for the reassurance.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:13 pm

waremark wrote:It sounds as though the local group membership Sec misunderstood you. Head office would not have that info. I suggest another clear conversation with the membership sec.

Okay, thank you. I will contact him again.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:08 pm

Bumblebee16 wrote:
waremark wrote:It sounds as though the local group membership Sec misunderstood you. Head office would not have that info. I suggest another clear conversation with the membership sec.

Good news! I have contacted the membership secretary who has confirmed where Observers are based who are local to me.
I have just purchased the Skill for Life course.
:P

martine

Postby martine » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:45 pm

How are you getting on Debbie with your quest to start advanced training?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:11 pm

Hi Martin,
I joined the Central Southern group in April and was put on a waiting list.
As soon as I was given a designated Observer, I did a free observed run in Chichester (12 June).
Since then, I have had one observed run with my Observer.
All seems to be going well. Nothing major to work on as I was getting mainly 2s. I just need to polish everything up to drive at the advanced level at all times.
I have been practising my road positioning on left hand bends, as both observers pointed out that I need to be nearer to the centre of the road to get a better view of the road ahead. However, a couple of times recently, I have had to avoid oncoming vehicles who have been taking a shortcut across the bend. Apart from that, it's all good!
My next run is on 10 August, I hope to be able to show my Observer that I have taken the comments on board.
Debbie

Horse

Postby Horse » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:53 pm

I like the 'SVA' prompt for positioning: safety, view, advantage.

If anywhere on the lane width is [relatively ] safe, then go for view.

It sounds, from your description, that you have the priorities skewed. If you don't have sufficient view to get good early sight of those encroaching cars, the compromise your position for view.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:09 pm

Horse wrote:I like the 'SVA' prompt for positioning: safety, view, advantage.

If anywhere on the lane width is [relatively ] safe, then go for view.

It sounds, from your description, that you have the priorities skewed. If you don't have sufficient view to get good early sight of those encroaching cars, the compromise your position for view.

Thanks, Horse
I think that I need to begin to move across earlier than I am currently.
If I can see oncoming vehicles early, they will be able to see me in plently of time too, and hopefully would not cut across the bend.
I feel vulnerable driving near to the centre line as I seem to be so close to oncoming vehicles.

There are lots of winding roads around where I live, so I can get lots of practice.
In fact, there are so many bends that sometimes I feel that I am constantly moving from side to side of the available space on my side of the road.
(It's all under control - I am not veering from side to side :racing: ).
Debbie

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:34 pm

possibly you need the wider view slightly earlier - i.e. as you are approaching the bend - so that you are then coming from that wider view on a straighter line into the bend - i.e. you are from that point moving back away from the centre line to drive the bend - leave it too late and your direction of driving to move out means that you are moving towards oncoming traffic as the bend goes left, meaning you have to fight the steering direction to get back on track... also the advantage of extra view is in planing, and therefore earlier is good!

Alasdair

GTR1400MAN

Postby GTR1400MAN » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:14 pm

Or if it is a tight/narrow left hand bend where the centre line is worn away (lorries/4x4s regularly cutting), there's a choice to enter the bend not jammed up against the centre line but more neutral. As you are then 'out of (the ideal) position for view' loose some speed first.
Mike Roberts - Now riding a Triumph Explorer XRT. My username comes from my 50K miles on a Kawasaki 1400GTR, after many years on Hondas of various shapes and styles. - https://tinyurl.com/mikerobertsonyoutube

Horse

Postby Horse » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:07 am

Bumblebee16 wrote:I feel vulnerable driving near to the centre line as I seem to be so close to oncoming vehicles.

There are lots of winding roads around where I live, so I can get lots of practice.

If you feel vulnerable because there *are* oncoming vehicles, then you've prioritised view over safety. If, you feel vulnerable because you can't see far enough ahead, then ditto.

That leads to: "What's far enough?" :) Well, that will depend on how swift and dramatic your reaction and avoidance action has to be. And, if you can't see far enough ahead to be sure that you won't have to tighten your line, then your entry speed *must* be lower to correspond with lost view.

Also, note that practice doesn't make perfect, it makes permanent, so you have to practise the perfect.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Introductions”