Hello from West Sussex

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
waremark

Re: Hello from West Sussex

Postby waremark » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:16 pm

Do not only mention the hazard, but also what you are going to do about it: 'Blind entrance on the left, losing speed and positioning away from it'.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:23 pm

IcedKiwi wrote:Well done, sounds like you're doing great - Hope you're enjoying it too

Thanks for the link. I watched the video this afternoon, when I found a quiet moment. I am sure that I will be watching it several more times before my next observed drive, and putting it into practice!

I have been enjoying the experience, so far.

akirk wrote:with commentary - one of the key approaches is to focus on what is important / critical and filter out or minimise other things - so going through a shopping street, you might sum up all activity on the right as 'pedestrians on the right, no risk' but then focus more on a set of small children on the left - i.e. show clarity as to where your attention might be...

Also, abbreviate what you are saying to allow you a more leisurely commentary...
'50 limit, left bend, farm ahead' is much simpler, than
'50 limit approaching in 300 yards, followed by a left bend and I can see that there is a farm by the sign saying eggs for sale and the one saying mud on the road'
that allows you to be less rushed and gives your passenger a feeling that you are in control / have seen everything / but are not hurried...

Alasdair

This is really helpful, thank you. I tried to put this into practice this morning. I don't think it went too badly! However, sometimes, I was saying what I had done after the event - eg. "check mirrors", but I already had!

waremark wrote:Do not only mention the hazard, but also what you are going to do about it: 'Blind entrance on the left, losing speed and positioning away from it'.

Thank you. I'm sure I will get there, with practice!

akirk

Postby akirk » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:07 am

If you are commenting on the scene you are currently driving through, that might be too late - it might also indicate that your observation is very local to the car which gives you very little time to respond... Risks relating to where you are now should already have been dealt with before you get there, so there should be no new surprises... as you plan ahead so you comment on the upcoming risks and decisions...

it might be that actually raising your view / eyes up the windscreen would help a lot, sometimes drivers have a view which is just in front of the car - that gives you very little time to react... in an urban setting you will of course be continually flicking between close and medium distance - on an open road it might be more medium and long distance - your view and planning and then commentary might need to be on what is 1/2 or 1 mile ahead of you! On a drive last year I found that the commentary I was doing on the open road related to what I could see in cross views and through bends and across hedges for quite a distance ahead, maybe several bends ahead, but by looking that far ahead, there were far fewer surprises when I got there, so the tractor coming close to a field gate had already been seen / the car coming down a minor side road and about to join my road had already been catered for, etc.

and if you don't have that length of view - slow down until the distance you can see is still taking a similar time, meaning that you are still commenting on stuff that is about the same time ahead of you...

Alasdair

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 7:39 am

akirk wrote:
it might be that actually raising your view / eyes up the windscreen would help a lot, sometimes drivers have a view which is just in front of the car - that gives you very little time to react... in an urban setting you will of course be continually flicking between close and medium distance - on an open road it might be more medium and long distance - your view and planning and then commentary might need to be on what is 1/2 or 1 mile ahead of you! On a drive last year I found that the commentary I was doing on the open road related to what I could see in cross views and through bends and across hedges for quite a distance ahead, maybe several bends ahead, but by looking that far ahead, there were far fewer surprises when I got there, so the tractor coming close to a field gate had already been seen / the car coming down a minor side road and about to join my road had already been catered for, etc.

and if you don't have that length of view - slow down until the distance you can see is still taking a similar time, meaning that you are still commenting on stuff that is about the same time ahead of you...

Alasdair

Thanks, Alasdair.

I don't think the problem is how far ahead I am looking. I already look as far ahead as the eye can see. When my Observer questioned me on what I was looking at, I did have a good view and said that I was looking across the bends and could tell him what was happening for the foreseeable distance. At one point when he asked me, the furthest focal point was a bridge with the sky and trees behind.

I think my problem may be more to do with coordination. My late brother had the saying (usually aimed at my Dad) "You need to put your brain into gear before putting your mouth into action". I think I need to get my coordination together and not think first about what I am going to say - just say it as I see it!

Thank you for the tip regarding speed. It's so obvious really, if I slow down even marginally, I will have more time to say what I am seeing.

I am taking my daughter out today. We will be travelling on all types of roads. I will ask her to watch the YouTube clip before we leave so that she understands what I am trying to achieve. I think I will be more comfortable giving the commentary to her and not just to myself.

Debbie

Jonquirk

Postby Jonquirk » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:51 pm

One of Chris Gilbert's tips on learning commentary driving is to separate driving and commentary by sitting in the passenger seat and providing the commentary as someone else drives. It might be worth a try.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:39 pm

Jonquirk wrote:One of Chris Gilbert's tips on learning commentary driving is to separate driving and commentary by sitting in the passenger seat and providing the commentary as someone else drives. It might be worth a try.

I had thought about doing that. I don't think I will get an opportunity to be a passenger before my next observed drive, though.
I have borrowed a dash cam so will try to set it up to record my commentary so I can analyse it afterwards.

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:11 am

Just a quick update!
I had an observed drive this morning and am feeling really chuffed with myself.
I scored a '2' on my commentary - which I was pleased with.
However, it was the only '2' I scored today - I achieved '1's in everything else and my observer has said he will arrange a pre-test drive for me with his line manager, but based on my drive today, he would have no concerns if I wanted to put in for my test immediately! I scored 10/10 on the Highway Code questions, and 18/20 on the HTBBD questions.
:D

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:44 am

Sounds like you're having fun :)

Going back to the left hand bends, Horse has quoted two different mnemonics which cover why to position, and the result of the positioning.

Safety, view, advantage tells you why it might be useful to adopt a particular position, with safety being the most important aspect.

Safety, stability and view tells you the result of adopting a position, but crucially, it refers to RIGHT hand bends. The corresponding mnemonic for LEFT hand bends is:

Stability, view and safety, which shows how adopting an offside position on a left hander might improve stability (greater radius of curvature) and view, but compromises safety, so we always have to remember it's a "nice to have", not a "one size fits all", because it inevitably compromises safety.

As Alasdair said, one of the key points is to adopt the position early, so it can be varied based on prevailing conditions - road surface, traffic, view etc.

HTH
Nick

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:30 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Sounds like you're having fun :)

I am enjoying the experience, and I am looking forward to taking the test.

Going back to the left hand bends, Horse has quoted two different mnemonics which cover why to position, and the result of the positioning.

Safety, view, advantage tells you why it might be useful to adopt a particular position, with safety being the most important aspect.

Safety, stability and view tells you the result of adopting a position, but crucially, it refers to RIGHT hand bends. The corresponding mnemonic for LEFT hand bends is:

Stability, view and safety, which shows how adopting an offside position on a left hander might improve stability (greater radius of curvature) and view, but compromises safety, so we always have to remember it's a "nice to have", not a "one size fits all", because it inevitably compromises safety.

As Alasdair said, one of the key points is to adopt the position early, so it can be varied based on prevailing conditions - road surface, traffic, view etc.

HTH

Thank you, this helps a lot.
Debbie

fengpo

Postby fengpo » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:21 pm

Another tip from Chris Gilbert was to watch his dvd's on mute and commentate. Worked well for me when I was getting ready for my IAM test. I'm sure the tip has helped others as well.

Return to “Introductions”