Hello from West Sussex

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Bumblebee16

Hello from West Sussex

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:44 pm

Hello everyone
Thank you Martin, for directing me to this site.
My name's Debbie and I'm interested in becoming an advanced driver.
About 10 years ago I passed the Driving Instructor Part 1 (Hazard Perception & Theory Test) and Part 2 (Practical Driving Test).
However, Part 3 training proved to be too much of a challenge for me and I didn't take it any further.
I still practise good driving skills, although I am aware that I have lapsed into some bad habits and would like to nip these in the bud.
I have been looking at different organisations which offer training for the Advanced Driving Test and do not know which organisation to apply for.
I would be interested to hear your views.
TIA
Last edited by Bumblebee16 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gannet

Re: Hello from West Sussex

Postby gannet » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:14 pm

hello :D

Which are you local groups?

that can often make more of a difference, if one is closer has more capacity (I've heard some IAM groups have waiting lists in the past) etc etc.

Our group (East Surrey IAM) can always make room based on the way we work.

or get yourself along to one of the upcoming driving days organised on here :D

martine

Postby martine » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:03 am

Hi Debbie,

And Welcome!

The main choices are ROSPA or IAM - both are road safety charities and both train and test drivers based on the same methodology (the police manual, Roadcraft). Both have local groups across the UK run by volunteers. Choose a local group from with organsisation that is closest to you, make contact and see what feedback you get to your questions. Then if all OK, sign up and start training. Some IAM groups do 'courses' where a bunch of associates (trainees if you will) start together and other groups do ad-hoc sessions. After several drives with an Observer/Tutor (a volunteer instructor), the actual advanced test is taken with a police advanced driver - often the same person regardless of IAM or ROSPA.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the process and it's quite different to ADI Part 3 and is meant to be fun!

http://www.roadar.org.uk
http://www.iam.org.uk

If you have any other questions just ask here - I'm sure you'll get useful responses.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:33 am

Hello and welcome from another in West Sussex.
I passed my Advanced test with Worthing IAM last year. Good friendly bunch, was really impressed with the senior observer. They operate on a 1:1 basis where an observer is assigned to you and you arrange hourly/90 min sessions between, usually about once a week. When you and your observer think you're up to standard, they'll normally arrange a check drive with the senior observer to see if they pick up on anything else.
No time pressure, they were happy to do as many sessions as I felt was necessary and I also had a ~4 week period off in the middle.
Think they, along with most other groups, offer a free taster session before you sign up to check if it's right for you.

I had a really good time doing it and great sense of achievement when I passed.
Hopefully you'll find something that suits you

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:10 pm

Thank you for your replies.
My nearest group is most probably the Worthing IAM group.
I will make contact with them.
I have bought the Roadcraft book and since making the decision about training for the Advanced Driving Test, I have been critical about my driving and have already started to make an effort to get out of some of the bad habits I have acquired.
I'm really excited about making this decision. I first saw a poster about the Advanced Driving Test 33 years ago when I took my driving test. At the time I said that I would do that!
Thank you for your help, I will keep you posted on my progress!
Debbie

Since writing, I have taken the first step and completed the "contact us" form. :)

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:01 pm

I have been going round in circles with IAM.
I will try RoSPA.
I am disappointed, as I was hoping to have signed up by now.

IcedKiwi

Postby IcedKiwi » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Sorry to hear you haven't had much luck! Hopefully you'll have more luck with the RoSPA group. Don't let it put you off though - it's really worthwhile and fun no matter which organsiation

martine

Postby martine » Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Bumblebee16 wrote:I have been going round in circles with IAM.
I will try RoSPA.
I am disappointed, as I was hoping to have signed up by now.

What's the problem?
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Bumblebee16

Postby Bumblebee16 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:10 am

I contacted three different groups.
Two of them have been extremely helpful and have places, but both have suggested I contact a group which is more local to me.
There is currently a waiting list for the local group, and I haven't been able to find out where the nearest Observers are, in order to make my decision.
I contacted the membership secretary, who put me onto Head Office. Head Office didn't give me an answer - they directed me back to the membership secretary!
Perhaps I should just sign up for my nearest group. Hopefully, I would be able to change groups once I have more information on where the Observers are based. At least I will feel that I am getting somewhere.

waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:07 am

It sounds as though the local group membership Sec misunderstood you. Head office would not have that info. I suggest another clear conversation with the membership sec.

Return to “Introductions”