Another Škoda owner (and ADUK refugee)

A good place to post when you join - it is a good idea to post here first so that people know something about you, and you will get a nice welcome.
Rainmaker

Another Škoda owner (and ADUK refugee)

Postby Rainmaker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:17 pm

I used to be M6L11 but now I'm not. I don't like to talk about it. :mrgreen: The Mazda is soon to be no more as we have a Superb 2.0 TSI 220hp DSG on order (quartz grey, SE-L Exec with the alcantara/leather seats)... So new forum, new username.

I'm starting with Merseyside RoADAR on Sunday, so I'm hoping to take my drive up another notch or three. Reg Local already taught me a few tricks (and I'm hoping to be back out with him soon) but you can never learn too much. I've managed to get an interested friend to sign up with me so a bit of friendly competition and mutual help should see us right.

Thanks for having me.

akirk

Re: Another Škoda owner (and ADUK refugee)

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:37 pm

A Superb and 220hp - very posh :D (I have a 150hp octavia!)
welcome - great to have you on here and look forward to hearing how it goes with RoADAR - will be interesting to hear about your time with them and how your friend gets on... why not get him to sign up on here as well and both put up a diary as a comparison, it would be interesting to see the different reactions for two people doing the same thing...

Alasdair

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:44 pm

That's a good idea Alasdair, I'll give him a bell now and see if I can't poke him until he gets annoyed enough to join haha. :D Great choice of forum software btw. I love PHPBB, even better that it's FOSS. I do hate that you've chosen to put the user info on the right though... really hard to get used to! :p

Is yours the 1.4TSI or the 2.0 CR? The 1.4TSI is lovely, I drove an Octy with it last year. With two kids and another on the way though, it's back to the Superb for us. I had a mk2 1.9PD which was brilliant, and the mk3 seems another step up (especially with twice the power and proper fuel haha). I just wish I could have gotten the 280 4x4, as planting 220hp through FWD is... interesting. Seeing as they have huge transmission tunnels already, I don't know why they're not RWD and have done with it. I digress...

akirk

Postby akirk » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:51 pm

That would be fab if he did! Glad you like the software, it actually isn't my favourite - it is limited in scope and I do have the odd commercial licence lying around, but having moved the forum to this new site quite quickly and knowing that change is disruptive it seemed logical to at least stick with some familiarity - and at least it is now responsive! User info on the right is slightly weird :) but not unknown and is basically the standard template, so rather than waste time changing it I thought we might manage :D

mine is a 2015 Oct. Scout - 2.0 diesel 4x4 but lower powered option (higher powered option only came with DSG box) while I liked the auto, my z3 is auto and I wante dto keep at least one manual... Will be interesting to see what you think of it when it comes - I am single, so no lack of space for me, but I can see why 3 kids would make the superb a better option!

Alasdair

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:09 am

You can't really go wrong with a Z3. We looked at the 3 series tourer, but much as I wanted to I couldn't justify the loss of rear space. It was effectively a four seater, especially with the sports seats. I've had to go DSG (the Mazda 6 is manual) as my wife severely damaged her spine in a work accident, and now has limited mobility in her left leg. DSG with paddle shift was the best compromise between her not driving and paying to run two cars (auto for her and a 'proper' manual for me). To be fair I've found DSG suits the petrols much better than the diesels, and the higher powered TSIs are the arguably better wet clutch 6 speeds. My wife's now on notice though - any more kids and she's buying an S-Max and I'm chopping in the Superb for a two seater. :lol:

a9pdh

Postby a9pdh » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:12 am

Rainmaker, I have joined, looking into the Skoda, I anticipate that you will have much fun driving the car, on country lanes and motorways, You may find yourself on city drives, really, not coming out of 2nd gear. Looking forward to my first ride out tomorrow at Rospa,

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:30 am

Welcome mate, good to see you've made it! :D

martine

Postby martine » Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:18 pm

2 members for the 'price' of 1 - welcome to you both.

So is the Shrewsbury driving day being organised by Gareth for March, too far South for you? I can't recommend them enough as a great, friendly and fun way to develop your driving no matter what 'level' you're at.
Martin - Bristol Advanced Motorists: IMI National Observer, Group Secretary, Masters (dist), DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)

Rainmaker

Postby Rainmaker » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:59 pm

Definitely something to think about martine, but with a pregnant wife and a 10 month old who's just learnt to crawl I might be pushing my luck for this time around! I'll definitely try though.

Return to “Introductions”