SAS Expert Training

Topics relating to Advanced Driving on anything that is not a car or bike, from lorries to vans, buses to hovercrafts...
Horse

SAS Expert Training

Postby Horse » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:52 pm

https://www-driving-co-uk.cdn.ampprojec ... inals/amp/

“It’s not aggressive, it’s progressive. It’s about keeping moving, getting from A to B as quickly as possible and taking the line of least resistance. I can see that there are no vehicles approaching and by driving in a straight line rather than following the curves of the road we are taking the most efficient route,” my tutor promises.

We’ve already zipped along a motorway, changed lanes and overtaken other vehicles with significantly more vigour than I ever would, but my tutor is reassuringly precise and collected as he explains how he calculates and carries out each manoeuvre.
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

jont-

Re: SAS Expert Training

Postby jont- » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:46 am

"Croma driving courses are from £1,000 per person" :o

Doesn't sound like they're teaching much beyond IAM/Rospa. I wonder if the tutors have pixellated faces ;)

dvenman

Postby dvenman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 am

jont- wrote:Doesn't sound like they're teaching much beyond IAM/Rospa.

There are places to learn how to drive like this for significantly less, with good followup too...

And I think if one drove like this on an IAM or RoSPA test, it may be viewed less than sympathetically by the examiner.
Last edited by dvenman on Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

akirk

Postby akirk » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:57 am

Apparently, finding the limit point means driving as far away from the bend as possible... :)

sounds like standard AD intro, with some common sense evasion tactics, wrapped together to sell at a premium to the rich and paranoid... good business model...

I have a brazilian client who is always conscious of kidnap / hijacking risk due to her & her family's wealth - she has been down the route of armoured cars and all that stuff, but generally her approach is to have as anonymous a car as possible, so if everyone drives a black ford focus, it makes you less likely to stand out if you do the same...

An american client travels with chase cars with bodyguards (caused a bit of a stir when he turned up at a sleepy cotswold village pub!), they always choose range rovers and discoveries as they can go off road, are fast, will keep going with quite a bit of damage and can ram anything up to a light lorry out of their way...

A russian client travels only by private jet and then anonymous private car

three very wealthy and at risk people, all take slightly different approaches, none of which rely on AD driving especially...

Alasdair

Triquet

Postby Triquet » Sun Sep 02, 2018 11:25 am

Did some engineering work in Sicily a few years ago, and much the same there. Everybody liked to drive very anonymous small white cars to avoid being noted by a) Mafia and b) Police. Having said that the standard of driving was atrocious. Maybe they had special courses on AD (Atrocious Driving) :racing:

LenWoodman55

Postby LenWoodman55 » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:45 pm

SAS - is that Saturday And Sunday drivers?

With few exceptions anyone who says they were special forces probably weren't. Check out Sean Bean in Ronin when questioned by Robert deNiro!

I would only be impressed if a provider demonstrated that they instructed Military Police personal protection officers (who guard embassies) at the Defence School of Transport, Leconfield.

BSM provided an Anti-hijack Course in the 1970s after an attempt to kidnap Princess Anne in 1974. A good marketing strategy by the then Marketing Manager Jeremy Barratt.

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:35 pm

Oh dear ...
Nick

Horse

Postby Horse » Thu Nov 22, 2018 7:44 pm

LenWoodman55 wrote: . . . after an attempt to kidnap Princess Anne in 1974. A good marketing strategy by the then Marketing Manager Jeremy Barratt.

Did he get caught, or is it an open secret? ;)
Your 'standard' is how you drive alone, not how you drive during a test.

Return to “Advanced Driving - Other”